We hope that, while the news is pretty grim sometimes, you are finding joy in your summer. We still have PRIDE events coming up, and OutSupport still has a few gatherings on our summer calendar! I’ve been told that I’m a bit chatty in my emails, so I’m going to take the advice of a parent at our last youth event, and bullet point items.
1) OutSupport August events have switched dates from our original summer schedule, due to back to school events. Youth and parent/guardians will meet Tuesday, Aug. 9 at River Styx Park. 6-8pm
2) LGBTQ Family friendly hike will meet at Hubbard Valley Park (Seville)on Aug. 16 6-8 pm
3) Medina Library will host its final LGBTQIA Teen Craft Club on Wed. Aug. 10 from 4:00-5:30 at the main library downtown Medina
4) Brunswick Library is planning to host LGBTQIA+ meetings for youth, starting in Sept. For more info, call 330-273-4150
5) Medina G2H2 Social Group will be meeting on Wed. Aug. 17 at Lagerheads Smokehouse and Brewery. 2832 Abbeyville Road Medina 5:30-8:00pm 18+
6) Queer in Canton is partnering with Akron PFLAG to provide support for families in Stark County (YAY!!). Tuesday, Aug. 2 from 6:00-7:30 at the Main Branch of Stark Library. 175 Market St. N
7). For LGBTQIA+ Catholics in NEOhio, a new chapter of New Ways Ministries is starting up. www.facebook.com/groups/314894877450109. Diversity NE OH
8) The Ohio Thrives Needs Assessment is looking at intersectionalities between LGBTQIA+, Disability, and Racial Identities. They are looking for input from a range of LGBTQIA+ youth and others through the Kaleidoscope Youth Center in Columbus and The Buckeye Flame. They are especially looking for more youth respondents, especially LGBTQIA+ youth of color. https://thebuckeyeflame.com/2022/07/22/ohio-thrives-needs-assessment. Some of these are paid surveys, so check them out!
9) Akron PRIDE is Saturday, Aug. 27 at Lock 3 Park in Downtown Akron, with the PRIDE parade kicking off at 10:00!! Festivities continue throughout the day!
10) OutSupport has been asked to offer our Transgender 101 to the Medina County Job and Family Services, as they are starting to see more children in the foster care system identify as LGBTQIA+, and also Leadership Medina County, as part of their DEI programming this year. We are excited to participate with these organizations, and our programs will take place this fall. We also are providing the Medina County Democrats PRIDE stickers for the Medina County Fair! Stop by, pick up a sticker, and register to VOTE!!!
11) We continue to purchase Binders and Gaffs for youth in our area. If you know a young person who is in need of one of these items, please let us know! We would be happy to provide them with these items!
We wish all youth a safe and successful transition back into the 2022-2023 school year! All of our GSA schools: we look forward to providing the bling bag and donation! We hope to hear from GSA Advisors and/or GSA President of your club after the school year starts! Also, we will be determining the Fall/Winter meetings for OutSupport, and will keep an eye on Covid. We will have more details in September.