The Autumn Equinox just passed, and that brings to us changes of all kinds. Not only the weather, but changes in many ways. OutSupport is going through changes, too! Our new meeting location will be new to us, as well as dates and time slots. We hope to see many of you in the coming months! Also, Happy 9th Anniversary to OutSupport! 9 years ago this month, a small circle put together a small support group for Medina. We’ve been happy to provide some level of support, information and advocacy for the Medina area (and beyond!), and hope to continue for some time to come! Thank you for everyone’s support over the years, and we hope that if you’ve ever come to a support meeting, been a part of one of our Trans 101 classes, received a free binder or gaff, or stopped by at one of the events on the Square, we wish you well!
OK…Lots to cover, and I’ll try to bullet point most of it!!
1) Medina Happenings:
-OutSupport Support meeting October 28 7-9pm UCC Church on the Square in Medina. This is a peer led support meeting…we are all on a similar journey and we hope to provide support for your family’s journey. Please be advised: no snacks will be at the meeting, but feel free to bring a beverage with a lid! A volunteer will meet you at the door and advise where in the church the meeting will be held. Please note that OutSupport is a secular group, and while we meet in a church, we are not a part of the church, and we want everyone to be aware of this and feel comfortable coming to meetings.
-PRIDETIME at the Medina(Oct. 12) and Brunswick(Oct. 4) Libraries (see attached flyer for details). Teen meetings will be on the 3rd floor of the Medina Library…look for little rainbows near the librarians desks if you are unsure about where to go! They are happy to direct you to the right place!!
-Medina HS Ally Snack Break! Oct. 10 at MHS Media Center-All Allies welcome to meet GSA students and give them support and encouragement in living their true colors! Flyer attached! RSVP by Oct. 7! This is always a great event for students and allies alike!
-Medina G2H2 Social Community will meet on Wed., Oct. 19 at 5:30 at Akronym Brewery, 5121 Beuhler’s Dr. in Medina
-PRIDETIME at HOPE RECOVERY CENTER. Ongoing Recovery Support for LGBTQ+ Adults and Allies. Thursdays at 7:30
2) We have heard that MetroHealth Pride and the Center for Gender Affirming Care at Akron Children’s Hospital have been threatened by….awful people. They have had to temporarily take down their website information, however, they both continue to provide the medical care that is so important to LGBTQ+ patients. Don’t put off the care you need, if you or your child is a patient at either of these fine hospitals in NEOhio.
3) ACTION ALERT! Last week, the Ohio Board of Education heard a request for a Resolution for schools across Ohio to adopt horrible policies for LGBTQ+ public school students. It’s very important to contact your BoE member or better yet, all of the members! www.education.ohio.gov/State-Board/State-Board-Members
The members will be voting on either Oct. 11 or 12 on this. Please urge them to vote NO on the Resolution. The ongoing attacks on LGBTQ+ youth in our world can only be stopped if we show up and fight for them. I urge you to contact your state BoE member.
4)VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE!!! Are you registered to vote? October 11 is the last day to register to vote in Ohio. Unsure? Check here: www.voterlookup.ohiosos.gov
-Equality Ohio will be hosting a Nonpartisan Candidate Forum on Sept. 29 from 5-9pm. www.equalityohio.org to register and for additional information. This is going to be live streamed from Columbus and will have a “fireside chat” feel. Registration required.
-Red,Wine, and Blue will be hosting a Candidate Forum on Sunday, Oct. 2 from 4:00-6:00. Meet candidates who will work to protect LGBTQ rights. LGBT Center Cleveland 6705 Detroit Ave. Cleveland RSVP on Facebook group. Decanted OH by Red, Wine, and Blue
- This is an extremely important election…with the nearly daily attacks on LGBTQ+ it is critical to elect candidates who support the rights of LGBTQ+ Ohioans. This is not a drill. Make a plan to vote!
5) Akron University Cummings Center for the History of Psychology is hosting Talk: The History of Two-Spirit and LGBTQ Identity in Native American Community. A Conversation with Dr. LaDonna Blue Eye. For details, and registration link www.uakron.edu/chp/whats-on/two-spirit-and-lgbtq-identity
In person and via livestreamed Wednesday, October 5 from 6:00-7:00pm
6) OutSupport info: OutSupport has been asked to speak to the following organizations in the coming months: PRIDETIME Brunswick meeting, Kent State University Parent’s Panel, Leadership Medina County, and the Medina meeting of AAUW. We love to come to organizations to present our Trans 101, or just to introduce organizations to the work we do…just let us know and we will try our best to be there!— We’ve provided binders to 4 local teens in September…these special undergarments help teens see themselves more authentically, and we are always happy to provide them, free of charge, to teens in NEOhio. If you know of a teen who needs one, please contact us!
–Lastly, we are very grateful for donations on behalf of Mary Wilder, a Medina resident who passed recently. She had a connection with the LGBTQ+ community in some way, and the family requested donations to honor their mother be made to OutSupport. We truly appreciate these gifts.