Hi all…lots going on so I wanted to make sure everyone is aware of as much as I can put together for you…
1) The Ohio State Board of Education is meeting today to decide the fate of a resolution that would allow schools to disregard Title IX Protections for LGBTQ students. You can watch on the Ohio Channel (sorry, no link).
2) The Ohio State Legislature will be hearing opponent testimony to this bill which would, if passed, would not allow transgender youth the medical care that they need..both physical and mental healthcare needs. Wednesday, Nov. 16 from 10:00-12:00pm. Testimony will be limited to 5 minutes per person. Ohio Statehouse Room 122.
Email your testimony to the email@example.com
3) November 20 is Transgender Day of Remembrance, and there are services in Cleveland, Kent and Wooster in NEOhio, plus several more around Ohio. The Buckeye Flame has a listing of many of them. The Wooster candlelight vigil is Sunday, Nov. 20 at 7:00pm at the corner of Market and Liberty Streets, through the Wooster Area Interfaith Partnership. If anyone plans to go to Wooster from Medina, let me know and we can carpool.
4) OutSupport meeting is this Friday, Nov. 18 at 7:00pm. Please be advised that the City of Medina will be holding a very large holiday program and we are hopeful that parking will be available for our meeting at the UCC church on the Square. You may want to give yourself a little extra time to park. The holiday are coming up, and this meeting can help with discussing what that means for some of us.
5) Tonight, Monday, Nov. 14 Medina City Council will be discussing the PRIDE flags that were on the Square last summer, and what future flag protocol (including other types of flags).
We are hoping to pack the house at City Hall 132 Elmwood St. Medina. Finance Committee meets at 6:00, and Full Council at 7:30pm. IF you have a prepared statement, you will be allowed to read it at the 7:30 meeting, but if you can come to the Finance Committe meeting, that would be best to show support for the flags. We really appreciate anyone who attends and/or writes an email TODAY to Mayor Hanwell and City Council members. I really hope that we can have our prode flags up in June, and tonight’s meetings will determine that.
I think that’s it, but surely I’ve missed something.
Give your LGBTQIA+ loved ones an extra hug this week…I think they will need it
In solidarity, and much love,