Well, we’ve had some glimmers of light in the past few days, in what has been for many of us a very dark season. This week, the Ohio House of Representatives decided not to vote on HB 454, which would have put transgender youth at risk of losing needed medical care. This is likely not completely over, but we at least have a reprieve from this attempt. Thank you to everyone who sent emails, called their representatives, and testified against this.
The US Senate passed an Equality Act, which will codify marriage equality into Federal law, no matter what individual states choose to do. While imperfect in some ways, it is another step towards full equality, and does not offer nationwide protections in housing and public accommodations, So there are more steps to go, but this is the first time the majority of the US Senate passed such legislation, including both of Ohio’s US Senators. Please take the time to call and thank them for their votes.
PLEASE READ: OutSupport meetings will be changing dates and locations (again!). We apologize for the changes, but feel this is in the best interest of our OutSupport friends. While we are extremely grateful to the Medina UCC church for offering to host OutSupport, the church is a bustling place, and given that visitors to OutSupport deserve privacy, we felt that, in order to accommodate that important piece of the OutSupport puzzle, we will be going back to the Unity of Medina, and it’s new, cozy location in Medina, Here is the schedule for the coming months.
Monday, Dec. 19 7-9pm. Last mtg at UCC church on the Square in Medina. (change of original date for privacy purposes)
Tuesday, January 10 7-9pm Unity of Medina, 655 N. Broadway St. Medina
Tuesday, February 14. 7-9pm. Unity of Medina 655 N. Broadway St. Medina
Tuesday, March 14 7-9pm. Unity of Medina, 655 N. Broadway St. Medina
Tuesday, April 11. 7-9pm. Unity of Medina. 655 N.Broadway St. Medina
I hope that everyone understands, and that we always try to do the right thing in decisions for OutSupport. Thank you for your flexibility!
Other Medina News:
* Hope Recovery Center Pride Time meets at 200 Highland Dr. on Thursdays, 6:30pm (all recovery support for LGBTQ+ and Allies)
* Medina County District Library continues teen Pride Time Craft Club at the Brunswick Library Thursday, Dec. 8 2:30-4:00pm//Medina Library , 4:00pm-5:30..Wednesdays Dec. 14, January 11, February 8. Join friends for crafts and social time in a safe space!
* G2H2 Holiday dinner Monday, Dec. 12, 5:30pm at 17 Public Square Join the fun!!
* Drag Me to Dinner continues its sold out shows throughout the year…upcoming dates are January 21 and April 1! Find up to date details on the next show at Williams on the Lake on the Drag Me to Dinner Facebook page!
The National Center for Transgender Equality is gathering information about the lived experience of transgender and non-binary people in the US. The deadline for participation is Dec. 5.
Please visit www.ustranssurvey.org if you are trans or non-binary and wish to participate.
Our friends at Kaleidoscope in Columbus have asked that we share information regarding their “Ohio Thrives” survey, collecting information on the intersectionalities of LGBTQ+, disability, and racial identities. Attached, please find information to participate.
* The North Coast Men’s Chorus is celebrating 35 years, and wants to invite all to their fabulous performances in 2023, including Abbapalooza, Disney PRIDE in Concert, and a special Celebrate 35 concert. Venues vary.
* Les Delices premieres a concert highlighting queer artists working in the realm of the Baroque era, delving into how issues of representation, community, and queer love are reflected in the plots and vocal writing of 17th and 18th century works for the stage. Premieres January 16, 2023.
www.lesdelices.org for more information and ticket purchase.
A few other rainbow bits and pieces: The Medina City Council will be meeting to discuss PRIDE flags on the Square for the upcoming year, and beyond. Please feel free to contact them to continue supporting seeing PRIDE on the Square!/ Ashland and Wayne County Library systems have been bombarded with petitions to remove LGBTQ+ themed books from shelves at their libraries, and we are proud of those who stood up to speak up against such petitions…I hope they don’t try to do this in Medina!// OutSupport participated in the 3rd “My Kid Came Out…Now What?!” offered through Kent State University’s LGBTQ Center, on Nov. 29, which had a lot of parents and grandparents zooming in!// OutSupport will be assisting Leadership Medina County in their DEI programming with a panel discussion with folks who live and work in Medina County tomorrow, Dec. 2//OutSupport purchased 1 gaff for a youth in need this month…if you know of a youth in need of a binder or gaff, please send them our way, and we’ll make sure they get one!
Lastly, thank you to all who donated for this year’s Giving Tuesday, and for all donors the whole year. We truly appreciate your generosity!!
We hope everyone finds some light in the darkest part of the year…do something kind for yourself, and know that OutSupport is sending you love and joy now and all year. You are a blessing to the world, and don’t let anyone try to make you feel otherwise!